Tuesday 4 June 2013

In my Grandmother's footsteps

This little case is one of most precious possessions.





A few years ago I taught myself to crochet.  I have a very short attention-span though, so I made a couple of things (badly!), then got bored, and moved onto something else.  But a couple of years ago, I came back to it.  I got a really good book and started from the beginning again.  In December 2011 my Grandma sadly passed away, and my Granddad gave me her treasured crochet hooks and knitting needles.  Contained in the little red case now are the crochet hooks which I have collected along with the ones with which my Grandma spent her life creating things of great beauty.  It means a lot to my Granddad that I am continuing in her footsteps, and have a great love of crochet like she did.

On Saturday when we were visiting him, he spoke again about how my Grandma would have loved to see me taking after her.  He told me how when she was young and lived in Germany during the Second World War, she and her mother were too poor to afford a crochet hook, so she taught herself to crochet using a broken knitting needle.  It was such a powerful story, and I wanted to record it while it was fresh in my mind.

I hope she would be proud if she could see me now, and happy to see her hooks so well used and loved.


No comments:

Post a Comment